"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Albanian Tribe and Clan (Fis) Y-DNA

Në këtë forum, mund të diskutoni për gjenetikën e popujve dhe njerëzve dhe lidhjen e saj me historinë dhe kulturën. Mund të diskutoni për gjenezën e racave nga pikëpamja gjenetike dhe afërinë me raca të tjera.

Moderator: Mallakastrioti

skerdilaidas

Albanian Tribe and Clan (Fis) Y-DNA

Post by skerdilaidas » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:26 am

This thread will be an attempt to map out the genetic paternal lines, or Y-DNA haplogroups, of the Albanian tribes or clans (which many have an oral tradition of common decent from one man). I decided to make this thread in english since it is easier given the terminology of the field and to welcome any helpful input from non-Albanian speakers. Albanians that know their Clan/Fis and have tested please contribute to this thread and the Albanian project, and if you do know your Clan and have not tested, I encourage you to do so.

I am from Drenica, Central Kosova and belong to Elshani Clan sub branch of the Thaci Clan, and I am R1b1a2a

So far this is what we have.

Official web page of the Albanian clan Y-DNA Project at FTDna
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Ab ... on=results

This web page is moderated by an Albanian member of this forum kuqezi, and if you have any question, you can contact him in the email on the link or pm.

kuqezi

Re: Albanian Tribe and Clan (Fis) Y-DNA

Post by kuqezi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:53 am

I am from Kosova and of the Sopi clan. I belong to the Y-DNA haplogroup E-V13, so far known to be the most common Y-DNA of Kosovar Albanians.

Kastrioti1443

Post by Kastrioti1443 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 am

Ev-13 is the most common Y-DNA in all Gheg Albanians, that means even among Albanian Highlanders of Northern Albania ( Southern '' Montenegro'' included), Western Kosovo and Northwestern FYROM.

Ev-13 dominates among Albanians in general.

kuqezi

Post by kuqezi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:51 am

Kastrioti1443 wrote:Ev-13 is the most common Y-DNA in all Gheg Albanians, that means even among Albanian Highlanders of Northern Albania ( Southern '' Montenegro'' included), Western Kosovo and Northwestern FYROM.

So far according to our clan DNA project, about 10/15 Kosovar Albanians (including Presheva) are E-V13, while northern Albanians including the part of Malsia e Madhe in Montenegro are about 2/6. Dibra so far is 1/2. The results are still premature, I know of one more Tropojan on 23andme who is J2b but he has not responded to me about his clan yet. I have some more E-V13 and non-E-V13 Kosovar on 23andme that I haven't been able to confirm their clans, but the ratio still holds more or less. There is some estimate out there that says around 45% of Kosovars are E-V13, which is huge.

E-V13 in southern Albanians seems to be pretty low (compared to Kosovars) but I would still wager that the single largest haplogroup among all Albanians is E-V13, but taken with all other haplogroups together on the opposing side it is not the dominating (over 50%).

skerdilaidas

Post by skerdilaidas » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:19 am

There seem to be a lot more Kosova Albanian testing though then Malsors from North Albania, so it's kind of hard to say as of now what the ratio is. I would not be surprised if it's higher in Kosova Albanians though. Also, not many examples of J2b in Kosova either as of now, we only have one example.

Kastrioti1443

Post by Kastrioti1443 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:49 pm

kuqezi wrote:
Kastrioti1443 wrote:Ev-13 is the most common Y-DNA in all Gheg Albanians, that means even among Albanian Highlanders of Northern Albania ( Southern '' Montenegro'' included), Western Kosovo and Northwestern FYROM.

So far according to our clan DNA project, about 10/15 Kosovar Albanians (including Presheva) are E-V13, while northern Albanians including the part of Malsia e Madhe in Montenegro are about 2/6. Dibra so far is 1/2. The results are still premature, I know of one more Tropojan on 23andme who is J2b but he has not responded to me about his clan yet. I have some more E-V13 and non-E-V13 Kosovar on 23andme that I haven't been able to confirm their clans, but the ratio still holds more or less. There is some estimate out there that says around 45% of Kosovars are E-V13, which is huge.

E-V13 in southern Albanians seems to be pretty low (compared to Kosovars) but I would still wager that the single largest haplogroup among all Albanians is E-V13, but taken with all other haplogroups together on the opposing side it is not the dominating (over 50%).

Well, 10/15 is not the average for the Kosovar Albanians. It is like 67% Ev-13 which is too much in average. Kosovar Albanians have in general 45-50% Ev-13 with R1b and Balkanic J2 composing 92% of the Y-DNA.

Dibra should have around 45% Ev-13, maybe more. We do not have enough samples for Albanian Highlanders, but considering the pure Ethnic Kosovar Albanians are the same racial stock with Albanian Highlanders as part of the 12 main tribes, Albanians Highlanders should have between 42-47% Ev-13.

The results of the Albanian Highlanders I have seen had an average of 43% Ev-13. they had more R1b and more I1 and I2 than Kosvar Albanians and less J2.

We do not have enough samples for southern Albanians also. The samples should be taken from pure albanian tosk villages. As far as i have seen, tosks have 35-38% Ev-13 maybe less.

Return to “Gjenetikë”