"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

DemosThenes

Talk about the languages.
Kelmendi

DemosThenes

Post by Kelmendi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Not long ago did I realize something that you surely looked upon before. The great diplomate that convinced Alexander The Great to sign a peace treaty with the ''Greeks'' and in turn he would gain the aid he seeked from the ''greeks'' to venture along Asia. This man is known as DEMOSTHENES.

Just by hearing he's name i noticed that it truly has a meaning to us albanians.. He was a diplomate, a man who spoke for the people. In other words that's exactly what he's name indicates. Demos = popull, Thene = thene, you get the point I hope. I've looked into some of the worldwide writings about Demosthenes and even there I saw that they explained his name as ''The peoples spokesman'' This may also tell us that we would eventually use the word Demos instead for the latin word ''popullus'' if not the Romans had conquered half of Europe.

Take a look at this since it seems to be a very clear example of the fusion of words from ''Homeros greek'' and the albanian language.

alfeko sukaraku
Sun Member
Sun Member

Re: DemosThenes

Post by alfeko sukaraku » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:10 pm

fjala "dhemos" -dhemon...e ka rrenjen nga shqipja "dhembje-te dhimbsurit-te varfrit=populli"

kjo behet me e qart vetem me shpjegimin e emrit "dhemon"-demon.

Demon-dhemon =perendia e botes se poshtme=perendia e botes se dhimbjeve

disa gjuhetar kerkojn ta lidhin fjalen me frengjishten "demon" por fregjishtja eshte shume e re qe te mbaj mbi supe kete fjale te gjendur edhe ne 8 radhshin e Dimalit qe gjendet ne lashtreguesin kobetare ne tiran...edhe qe i perket shek 3 p e s

per fjalen "themi" jemi me se te qarte qe eshte fjala e shqipes
KOHA ESHTE E MASKARENJVE/POR ATDHEU I SHQIPETRAVE

Kelmendi

Post by Kelmendi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:39 pm

so what you are claiming is that the name Demosthenes really means ''The God of Pain's spokesman''?

What about the word for teeth/tooth, ''dhemb/dhembi''? Doesn't it sound the same?
Or as ghegs pronounce it ''dham/dhami''. Dham is also known as Pain as in ''ku po t'dhaem''?
Not to be rude but I think your term is a little faint but it may prove me wrong. We use the word Popull today, I don't know what the illyrians used before that but I strongly believe that it was Demos since the word for pain in albanian seems a different aspect then to Demos.

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 am

Kelmendi wrote:Not long ago did I realize something that you surely looked upon before. The great diplomate that convinced Alexander The Great to sign a peace treaty with the ''Greeks'' and in turn he would gain the aid he seeked from the ''greeks'' to venture along Asia. This man is known as DEMOSTHENES.

Just by hearing he's name i noticed that it truly has a meaning to us albanians.. He was a diplomate, a man who spoke for the people. In other words that's exactly what he's name indicates. Demos = popull, Thene = thene, you get the point I hope. I've looked into some of the worldwide writings about Demosthenes and even there I saw that they explained his name as ''The peoples spokesman'' This may also tell us that we would eventually use the word Demos instead for the latin word ''popullus'' if not the Romans had conquered half of Europe.

Take a look at this since it seems to be a very clear example of the fusion of words from ''Homeros greek'' and the albanian language.
First of all welcome to the forum, kelmendi!
I have to agree with you that the last compound of Δημοσθένης seems to have full resemblance with Albanian: <them> /say. There are lots of examples with –θέν compounds like: Ἀθηνᾶ, Athēnā or Ἀθηναία, Athēnaia; Epic: Ἀθηναίη, Athēnaiē; Ionic: Ἀθήνη, Athēnē; Doric: Ἀθάνα, Athana.
Meanwhile according to the Strabo <themistes>means: those orders and decrees that are oracular, just as one also interprets “themistes” as meaning those that are made by law.
βέλτιον γὰρ εἶναι τομούρους ἢ θέμιστας γράφειν• οὐδαμοῦ γοῦν τὰ μαντεῖα θέμιστας λέγεσθαι παρὰ τῷ ποιητῇ, ἀλλὰ τὰς βουλὰς καὶ τὰ πολιτεύματα καὶ νομοθετήματα• τομούρους δ' εἰρῆσθαι ἐπιτετμημένως οἷον τομαροφύλακας. οἱ μὲν οὖν νεώτεροι λέγουσιν τομούρους• παρ' Ὁμήρῳ δ' ἁπλούστερον δεῖ δέχεσθαι θέμιστας καταχρηστικῶς καὶ βουλάς, τὰ προστάγματα καὶ τὰ βουλήματα τὰ μαντικά, καθάπερ καὶ τὰ νόμιμα• τοιοῦτον γὰρ καὶ τό
ἐκ δρυὸς ὑψικόμοιο Διὸς βουλὴν ἐπακοῦσαι.
So in this case, Albanian explanation makes sense.
Ne sot po hedhim faren me emrin Bashkim,
Qe neser te korrim frutin me emrin Bashkim!

alfeko sukaraku
Sun Member
Sun Member

Post by alfeko sukaraku » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:21 am

Kelmendi wrote:so what you are claiming is that the name Demosthenes really means ''The God of Pain's spokesman''?

What about the word for teeth/tooth, ''dhemb/dhembi''? Doesn't it sound the same?
Or as ghegs pronounce it ''dham/dhami''. Dham is also known as Pain as in ''ku po t'dhaem''?
Not to be rude but I think your term is a little faint but it may prove me wrong. We use the word Popull today, I don't know what the illyrians used before that but I strongly believe that it was Demos since the word for pain in albanian seems a different aspect then to Demos.
dhemb=pain

edhe perse dhembi i femijes eshte 1 nga arsyet qe i shkaktojn dhimbjet e para edhe me te madha per femijet.

so than you must know the old "greek" language -dhen i know- after you must find the word "demon" at etymolog lexicous...this is word com from "god of pain=Demon"

so if the god of pain is demon...end you goen to lern more about Demetrio Camarda-Panajoti Kupidori-von Xylander end more,then you have te understend beter whate i mind

the word "people" is not albanian word like more anather new words....if u remember and if you know i "dhuli"=sclave they hand't the wright for vote...after at athens this people win the wright to the vote.....so "dimo" com from old word "dhim"= the suffer people

so i think we must speak with the etymolog lexicon and i will do that soon.

sorry for my english...i lern this languan only to find girl frends ,long time now, and im not god.
Last edited by alfeko sukaraku on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am

The ““official”” etymology regarding Demosthenes name, gets on my nerves!
It says: Means "vigour of the people" from Greek δημου (demou) "of the people" and σθενος (sthenos) "vigour, strength". This was the name of both an Athenian general of the 5th century and an Athenian orator of the 4th century.

We know for certain from ancient literary records that Demosthenes wasn’t good example of ‘strength’ or ‘vigorous’ :mrgreen: because:
After Alexander's death in 323 BC, Demosthenes again urged the Athenians to seek independence from Macedonia in what became known as the Lamian War. However, Antipater, Alexander's successor, quelled all opposition and demanded that the Athenians turn over Demosthenes and Hypereides, among others. Following his request, the ecclesia adopted a decree condemning the most prominent anti-Macedonian agitators to death. Demosthenes escaped to a sanctuary on the island of Calauria (modern-day Poros), where he was later discovered by Archias, a confidant of Antipater. He committed suicide before his capture by taking poison out of a reed, pretending he wanted to write a letter to his family.[97] When Demosthenes felt that the poison was working on his body, he said to Archias: "Now, as soon as you please you may commence the part of Creon in the tragedy, and cast out this body of mine unburied. But, O gracious Neptune, I, for my part, while I am yet alive, arise up and depart out of this sacred place; though Antipater and the Macedonians have not left so much as the temple unpolluted." After saying these words, he passed by the altar, fell down and died.[97] Years after Demosthenes' suicide, the Athenians erected a statue to honor him and decreed that the state should provide meals to his descendants in the Prytaneum.[98]
...the chief feature of Demosthenes was his unforgettable oratorical skill, was not?
Ne sot po hedhim faren me emrin Bashkim,
Qe neser te korrim frutin me emrin Bashkim!

alfeko sukaraku
Sun Member
Sun Member

Post by alfeko sukaraku » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:34 am

Kelmendi wrote:so what you are claiming is that the name Demosthenes really means ''The God of Pain's spokesman''?

not exzacllty....the word "dhemos=people" com from the word "dhima-dhim-dhimon"...that i mind.

Kelmendi

Post by Kelmendi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:21 pm

ALBPelasgian wrote:The ““official”” etymology regarding Demosthenes name, gets on my nerves!
It says: Means "vigour of the people" from Greek δημου (demou) "of the people" and σθενος (sthenos) "vigour, strength". This was the name of both an Athenian general of the 5th century and an Athenian orator of the 4th century.

We know for certain from ancient literary records that Demosthenes wasn’t good example of ‘strength’ or ‘vigorous’ :mrgreen: because:
After Alexander's death in 323 BC, Demosthenes again urged the Athenians to seek independence from Macedonia in what became known as the Lamian War. However, Antipater, Alexander's successor, quelled all opposition and demanded that the Athenians turn over Demosthenes and Hypereides, among others. Following his request, the ecclesia adopted a decree condemning the most prominent anti-Macedonian agitators to death. Demosthenes escaped to a sanctuary on the island of Calauria (modern-day Poros), where he was later discovered by Archias, a confidant of Antipater. He committed suicide before his capture by taking poison out of a reed, pretending he wanted to write a letter to his family.[97] When Demosthenes felt that the poison was working on his body, he said to Archias: "Now, as soon as you please you may commence the part of Creon in the tragedy, and cast out this body of mine unburied. But, O gracious Neptune, I, for my part, while I am yet alive, arise up and depart out of this sacred place; though Antipater and the Macedonians have not left so much as the temple unpolluted." After saying these words, he passed by the altar, fell down and died.[97] Years after Demosthenes' suicide, the Athenians erected a statue to honor him and decreed that the state should provide meals to his descendants in the Prytaneum.[98]
...the chief feature of Demosthenes was his unforgettable oratorical skill, was not?
haha, yes his primary goal was the oratorical area. I checked that too and it's just as you say, he showed no examples of either strength nor vigour. But as we all know, the greeks have a habit of changing meaningful names to something with no resemblence to that persons acomplishments. I mean, Demosthenes as we know him, he maybe or probably was named something else until he finally showed his talents and earned the name. I believe the majority of the heroes and resembling figures earned their names after their acomplishments. In other words, I don't know why the hell "vigour of the people" is used as an definition of his name :/..

thank you for the welcome :) Im pleased to be a part of this forum
not exzacllty....the word "dhemos=people" com from the word "dhima-dhim-dhimon"...that i mind.
I see what you actually mean now but what you are referring to is not quite the same. The word Demos may be related to Dhima but either way this name of his DEMOSTHENES still gives us Albanians a meaning. That is what is so significant with his name, that a fellow ''greek'' cannot really translate the name and a coincidence that we albanians actually can explain his name with a 100% accuracy since he really was a spokesman of the people.

But don't get me wrong, your theorise are most interesting and I would be pleased if you continued to give us more fact about this that you claim.

Return to “Language”