"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Vampire!

Talk about the languages.
Kelmendi

Vampire!

Post by Kelmendi » Fri May 07, 2010 12:13 am

For many days and nights have I thought about this specific word ''Vampire''. For centuries, the vampires have roamed through the Balkan Peninsula and the rest of the lands in the north. But that's not what I am about to bring up. Not long ago did I start reading Bam Stoke's book ''Dracula'' and something caught my eye in an instance! In his book he writes that in the ancient times there were vampires in Greece called ''vrykolakas''. This means that the pelasgians were affected by vampires since the ancient times. This makes my thoughts connect with this new term ''Vampire'' and gives me a ''new'' meaning when i look upon it within the albanian language.

Since I was i child, I always used the word ''Dhampir'' for monsters and after several years i finally realized that it's exactly the SAME DAMN WORD! Dhampier (albanian), Vampire (english), Vampyr (swedish). So what does this name mean anyway?

Dham = teeth, pier = drink

Isn't that what vampires do? Drink with their teeth?

According to a few sources (i'll search for them in time) the word Vampire derives from a disease found in som kind of Germanic area where the word Vamp was the keyword for this disease that made your skin pale and made you unable to show yourself in direct sunlight. The disease made you very sensitive to unions as well as garlics. Thats where the authors got their ideas about Dracula but Stokes used the famous ''Vampire poetries'' and also a little inspiration from Lord Byron and his ventures through Balkan.

Anyway, let's get to the point. The word Vampire is an international word and is nothing else then a name of a disease.. But in the albanian language the word Vampire really means ''Teeth drinker'' and is pronounced Dhampier or Dhampiersit in plural.

Kolivilor

Re: Vampire!

Post by Kolivilor » Fri May 07, 2010 6:22 am

Këtu gjendet një shpjegim: http://vargmal.org/dan5211

Arban Blandi
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Arban Blandi » Fri May 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Këtu gjendet një shpjegim: http://vargmal.org/dan5211
ᴥ Informacione interesante për Mitologjinë Popullore, nga anetari Khandon i forumit vargmal.org:
Dhampir is the original name of the later corrupted and slavicized "vampir". Dhampirs are evil nightly creatures with sharp and long teeth, very strong, quick, heavy and are mostly invisible to the eyes of the normal People. They fear the fire, the water and the daylight, but like the music. These are dead people which were angry. They get up from the grave and come at night, bite people and animals and drinks their blood. Dhampirs are very sadistic; they terrify, beat up, and rape women and/or kill people. Only a Dhampirash (Dhampirash = the child of a vampire father and a human mother) is capable to see the Dhampires, and knows how to fight or kill them. He must make a circle from some burnable material and blood on the ground; afterward he lures the vampire into the circle while positioning himself in the middle of the circle, playing the fife (recorder) or whistling. Then he puts fire on the circle, so that the terrified Dhampire from the fire cannot flee, forcing the Dhampire to fight him. Dhampirash must kill and burn the Dhampire, or new Dhampires will rise from every glow of these fires of a circle. When he has him killed and completely burnt, he must take his ashes/cinders and throw them in a river. (I told shortly and only the most important one) Old tales from the Albanian folklore (Kosovo). + http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhampir - A Dhampir (also dhampyre, dhamphir or dhampyr) in Balkan folklore is the child of a vampire father and a human mother.
Vampiri don të thotë dham-pirës. Arsyetimi hipotetik nga anetari i naltpërmendur: Slavs, Romanians and Roma (Gypsies) cannot pronounce the Albanian letter DH (DH = TH English like in The,Then,They,This,That etc.) so they usually replace it by the more convenient letter V. And some of Slavic people replace it by letter L (e.g. the Bosnians). When a Slav, Romanian or Roma (Gypsie) spells the Albanian word Dham for Teeth, he pronounces it as Vam (?), because he is incapable to say Dham (teeth). The Bosnians spells it as Lam. When the Slavs came to Europe, they came into contact with the Illyr-Albanian tales. Later they changed, corrupted and slavicized the name Dhampir into "Vampir" and "Lampir" (similar to other Albanian words), because they could not pronounce the original name Dhampir. Now, they try to claim these words for themselves, as well as others that were similarly amended from the Albanian vacabulary, but the original meaning of these words is lost, because they carry no connotation in Slavic or any other language, except for Albanian. Kjo puna e Drakullës është e çuditshme. Megjithatë në Rumani besimi në lugetër e dhampira ka qenë gjithnjë i fortë edhe sot ende besohet, dhe jo vetëm aty, por në tërë Ballkanin, e që e ka bazën tek substrati shqiptar para-sllav, para-romak. Kështu edhe me mitologji tjera të ashtuquajtura ballkanike, ose "East european".
→ 1. sll. vampiri < shq. dhampirii < dham = vam (shndërrimi dh = v)
Vampiri don të thotë gjakpirës. Shpjegimi etimologjik për "vampire" te http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=vampire 1734, from Fr. vampire or Ger. Vampir (1732, in an account of Hungarian vampires), from Hung. vampir, from O.C.S. opiri (cf.Serb. vampir, Bulg. vapir, Ukrainian uper), said by Slavic linguist Franc Miklošič to be ult. from Kazan Tatar ubyr "witch." An Eastern European creature popularized in Eng. by late 19c. gothic novels, however there are scattered Eng. accounts of night-walking, blood-gorged, plague-spreading undead corpses from as far back as 1196. Applied 1774 by Fr. biologist Buffon to a species of South American blood-sucking bat.
Për βρυκόλακας, wikipedia jep:
The very word vrykolakas is a cognate with a Lithuanian language word vilkolakis meaning the werewolf ('vilko-' means a wolf and 'lakis' means running). In Slavic languages it is variously occurring as , vǎrkolak, as in Bulgarian, vukodlak, as in Serbian, etc. The term is derived from вълк (vâlk)/вук (vuk), meaning "wolf" and dlaka, meaning "fur", and originally meant "werewolf" (it still has that meaning in the modern Slavic literary languages, and a similar one in Romanian: see vârcolac). However, the same word (in the form vukodlak) has come to be used in the sense of "vampire" in the folklore of Western Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Montenegro (while the term "vampir" is more common in Eastern Serbia, Republic of Macedonia and in Bulgaria). Apparently, the two concepts have become mixed.[1] Even in Bulgaria, original folklore generally describes the vârkolak as a sub-species of the vampire without any wolf-like features.[2] It may also be noted that the Sanskrit word for wolf is vṛ́k (commonly pronounced as vrik).
OnlineEtymology për "wolf":
O.E. wulf, from P.Gmc. *wulfaz (cf. O.S. wulf, O.N. ulfr, O.Fris., Du., O.H.G., Ger. wolf, Goth. wulfs), from PIE *wlqwos/*lukwos, from base *wlp-/*lup- (cf. Skt. vrkas, Avestan vehrka-; Albanian ulk; O.C.S. vluku; Rus. volcica; Lith. vilkas "wolf;" O.Pers. Varkana- "Hyrcania," district southeast of the Caspian Sea, lit. "wolf-land;" probably also Gk. lykos, L. lupus). The verb meaning "eat like a wolf" is attested from 1862. Wolves as a symbol of lust are ancient, e.g. Roman slang lupa "whore," lit. "she-wolf" (preserved in Sp. loba, It. lupa, Fr. louve). The equation of "wolf" and "prostitute, sexually voracious female" persisted into 12c., but by Elizabethan times wolves had become primarily symbolic of male lust. The specific use of wolf for "sexually aggressive male" first recorded 1847; wolf-whistle first attested 1952. The image of a wolf in sheep's skin is attested from c.1400.
→ për më tepër shih http://www.etymonline.com/wolf.php , shq. ulk, ujk, ulkonjë, dhe cek vlcek, little wolf /ulf/, lupus et al.
Our Scribd Channel - History was a damn dim candle over a damn dark abyss.

Kundurjoti

Post by Kundurjoti » Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Per mua eshte bindes ky arsyetim bile dhe femijet shpeshhere dh e shqiptojne v.

Kelmendi

Post by Kelmendi » Sun May 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Oh.. Mendova qe une isha i pari me kete teori :)

So we can declare that the word Vampire has an albanian origin? or is there still things that may make us insecure about the word Vampire? To me, it cannot get more obvious since these are words that we use daily and they are very logical when it comes to explaining Vampire with the albanian language to a foreigner.

Return to “Language”