"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

My out of the Balkans Indo-European map

Talk about the languages.
jay_albania_fan

My out of the Balkans Indo-European map

Post by jay_albania_fan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Here is my map showing my theory of the out of the Balkans Indo-European map. I have Illyria/Albania as the Urheimat showing the migrations out of the Balkans. The chronological migrations out of the Balkans is first to Anatolia and second one out to western China. The rest of the migrations are not in any chronological order.

Zeus10
Grand Fighter Member
Grand Fighter Member

Re: My out of the Balkans Indo-European map

Post by Zeus10 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Jay, your map is very interesting, but could you please give us few more details how did you came up to this conclusion, embodied grafically at this map.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

jay_albania_fan

Post by jay_albania_fan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Zeus10 wrote:Jay, your map is very interesting, but could you please give us few more details how did you came up to this conclusion, embodied grafically at this map.
Here is how I came up with the map.

Albanian has been connected by different linguists as closest to various branches of Indo-European by various scholars.

Albanian has been connected more directly in a northern group which consists of Germanic, Baltic, and Slavic. There are clear affinities with Albanian and Germanic as well as with Albanian and Baltic.

Albanian has been connected to Celtic perhaps with a transitional Pannonian zone between them. There is a clear affinity with Celtic and Albanian.

Albanian has been connected to Italic. Venetic shows an interesting relationship between Illyrian (Albanian) in some aspects and Italic on the other, with regards to sound changes. This shows a transitional dialectal characteristic of Venetic between Illyrian and Italic. Liburnian seems to be transitional between Venetic and Illyrian proper.

Albanian has been related to Greek and Armenian to form a so called southern group. Greek, Phrygian, and Armenian are clearly in a southern sub-branch. Illyrian transitions into Paeonian which transitions into Ancient Macedonian appears to be a transitional dialect between Illyrian (Albanian) and Greek. Phrygian seems to be transitional between Greek and Armenian.

Messapic has close affinities to Illyrian, but not so much with Italic. It looks more like some Indo-Europeans in Illyria crossed over to Italy and not the same migration as the Italic one.

Illyrian (Albanian) has close affinities Dacian, Thracian, and Indo-Iranian. It very much seems that Illyrian transitions into Dardanian with transitions into Moesian and then into Thracian south and then transitions into Dacian north. Dacian transitions into Cimmerian as one goes east and that transitions into Indo-Iranian.

More problematic is Anatolian. It was probably an early migration out of the Balkans before any other movement. Anatolian does not have any close affinity to Greek, Phrygian, or Armenians its nearest neighbors, but more so with Italic which would probably show an earlier split.

Tocharian is spoken far east of the other branches and does not shows any close affinities to Indo-Iranian. It shows more affinities with Celtic which demonstrates and early break.

As I have stated before Albanian is about the only branch of Indo-European which shows a close affiliation to all of the other branches. Albanian as well has its own unique set of sound changes and it has retained a laryngeal h4 which was lost in all other branches of Indo-European.

I have not considered some other extinct Indo-European branches due to the lack of much data such as Lusitanian, Ligurian, Elymian, or Sicel.

From reading the various linguistic sources, Albanian (Illyrian) really does appear to be the center of a wheel with the other Indo-European branches being spokes.

jay_albania_fan

Post by jay_albania_fan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:02 am

The other theories for the PIE Urheimat include:

1. Black Sea Area (a favorite of many, but seems to be based on archaeology and not linguistics so I don't buy it)

2. Anatolia (possible, but not so much the area of great diffusion)

3. Mesopotamia (possible point of origin but not the area of diffusion in my opinion)

3. Caucasus (possible, but linguistics doesn't really show this)

4. Baltics (doubtful)

5. India (considered quite fringe and not taken seriously)

Return to “Language”