"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

The Albanian physicians and hernia repair!

Talk about the culture.
Phoenix
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

The Albanian physicians and hernia repair!

Post by Phoenix » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:24 pm

[quoteem]Abstract
The first description of the transabdominal approach for hernia repair was written by Demetrius Cantemir, Prince of Moldavia and encyclopedic scholar, in his 1716 Latin manuscript "Incrementa et Decrementa Aulae Othmanicae". This manuscript was one of the most important of Eastern Europe at the time. It was first translated in English in 1734, and all subsequent translations into various other languages were based on this English version. The original manuscript now belongs to the Houghton Library of Harvard University, where it was recently rediscovered in 1984 by V. Candea. D. Sluşanschi has made the first Romanian translation of the first two volumes based on the original latin manuscript. This translation is now in press. Our article presents for the first time a fragment of this Romanian translation from the Annotations of Volume two, chapter four. In this fragment, Demetrius Cantemir describes the surgical procedure practiced by Albanian physicians in the prince's palace in Constantinopol. The patient was the secretary of the prince. There is a detailed description of the postsurgical therapy and the medical course to recovery. It was first partially reproduced by Mercy in his book on hernia published in 1892, and more recently by Meade in 1965. We consider useful to present to the medical community this valuable but less known contribution to the history of medicine.[/quoteem]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19803283

http://books.google.com/books?printsec= ... us&f=false

Phoenix
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Re: The Albanian physicians and hernia repair!

Post by Phoenix » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:38 pm

[quoteem]Here we see a surprizing operation, of which I was " eye-witness, and which is nevertheless practised with success by a savage people, "ignorant of science."[/quoteem]

Let now see the etymology for the word "Hernia". I did a search in these dictionaries:

In other hand if you will study a surgery text, you will see the surgeons to relate the meaning of "hernia" with the words: Bud, gemma,ecc.
But all this intervention is done to repair or remove this bud, or gemma!

Knowing the Albanian language and studying the this topic I logically did a link with an Albanian word: "Herr or Harr"
Let see what it means!

[quoteem]1. Tweak or remove weeds from crops, scrub a rind of crops from weeds. Remove crops . Shearing grape tree, precisely to remove the new bud who compare after the formation fruits or to remove the excessive number of fruits in a tree.
Dismantle a weak excess of an article or a literary work and science., Of scrub, and comb.
So to remove a "bad" bud or a germination[/quoteem]

Zeus10
Grand Fighter Member
Grand Fighter Member

Re: The Albanian physicians and hernia repair!

Post by Zeus10 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:51 am

That's great Phoenix, it's exactly like that, the origin of that noun is that albanian simple verb herr or harr. And since we are talking about this I'm pretty sure that even the English word harvest (korrat) comes directly fro this Albanian verb. In Albanian itself we have a colapse of the fricative h---> k. So from verb harr-->korr--> korra.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Return to “Culture”