"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Albanian nationalists during WWII invested to save the Jews from the Nazis

Talk about Albanian history.
Zeus10
Grand Fighter Member
Grand Fighter Member

Albanian nationalists during WWII invested to save the Jews from the Nazis

Post by Zeus10 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:31 pm

For some time, I have been hesitating to translate in English the following information, which once again proves the selflessness of Albanians to save the Jews from Nazis persecution, because I don't want to appear like we now are trying to collect the credits of this noble action. But on a second thought inside me grew strong the reasoning, that this activity shouldn't pass as unnoticed and to serve as an example for the new generations, to understand the values we carry as a nation inside us, without loosing humbleness so evident in our older generations.
The following passage, is a translation of a letter sent from Berat(city in Albania) from the General Chief of "Balli Kombetar", (a nationalistic political formation) named Kadri Cakrani to his uncle in Mallakaster(region in Albania), giving instructions on how to transport and provide refuge for hundreds of local Jews of Berat(city in Albania) who were facing inhalation from the Nazis.

"Berat 11.09.1943
To Bektash Cakrani, Cakran Mallakaster (Confidential)
My dear uncle, I am urgently writing you amongst many distresses plaguing us after the Italian capitulation, because you control Mallakastra. We urgently must deliver to you from Berat, a big number of people, which we don't even possess the means to do that. I am talking about our local Jews, who are by hundreds, but the biggest problem is that we don't want to show their identity, because otherwise if their identity is being revealed, they risk to be executed across the entire Berat town, which is small in number on the first place. I don't know from which source you might receive the information, but I am not even convinced, time not in any way, and to create a cover by giving false Muslim identification documents to them, my intention could be exposed, and I will end up executed and together with me the entire city. I absolutely need to meet Mitat Frasheri, and those people in Tirana, must not give any information at all about the numbers, and how to proceed. We MUST make sure that not even one Jew from those ones who have been here in Berat, or those who just came, falls in Nazis hands, whose army is coming, and we know Nazis intentions toward them. At the same time, the Albanian population shouldn't show any sign they are hiding them(the Jews-my note), because of the terror expected to be applied against them (Albanians-my note). At the same time, considering the big number of people(Jews-my note) needed to be hidden, I am afraid this is impossible but we still have time to bring them there. Another danger for which you are well aware off, is that if our plan is revealed, even your Mallakastra will be put in flames. Send me urgently a person together with my courier.

"

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Return to “Albanian history”