"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Illyrian - Albanian Mythology, Ancient gods

Talk about Albanian history.
Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Illyrian - Albanian Mythology, Ancient gods

Post by Arta » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:42 am

Taken from Encyclopedia Mythica

1. Djall
The Albanian name for the devil. Another name for the devil in Albanian is dreqi, from the Latin draco (dragon).

2. Bukuri e qiellit
Albanian name for the Christian God.

3. Ljubi
The Albanian demoness who will dry water courses in the land if no virgin is sacrificed to her.

4. En
Among the ancient Albanians the term for god in general, but also the name of the supreme god. The word en survived in enj?t?, the Albanian word for Thursday.

5. Kukuth
Ancient Albanian female demons of sickness who spread the plague. The spirit of a deceased miser, who cannot find rest, and who does much evil, is also called Kukuth.

6. Ora
An Albanian protective spirit. Every person is assigned an Ora at birth. Those who are courageous and diligent have one with a white face. Those who are cowardly and lazy have an Ora with a black face.

7. Fatit
South-Albanian female deities of destiny, similar to the Greek Moirae. These three goddesses appear at the cradle, on the third day after the birth of a child, to determine the child's fate.

8. Stihi
A female demon in south Albanian belief. She is represented as a fire-breathing dragon guarding a treasure.

9. Perendi
The Albanian thunder god of Illyrian origin. He is the consort of Prende, the goddess of love. Perendi is identical with the Lithuanian Perkunas and the Latvian Perkons.

10. Perit
In Albanian folklore, they are female mountain deities of great beauty. They are dressed entirely in white and are regarded as good fairies. They can become very angry towards those who spill bread, and will give these sinners a hump.

11. Verbti

The ancient Albanian god of fire and the northern wind whose name means "the blind one". Although he cannot see, his hearing is absolutely perfect. He has an aversion of obscene language and dirty business. With the advent of Christianization he was reduced to a demon who causes blindness.

12. Kulshedra
A different name for dragon-like creature Bolla from Albanian folklore.

13. Vitore

A good Albanian household spirit who, in the shape of a small snake, lives in the walls of the house. With a soft whistling it announces both pleasant as well as sad events.

14. Xindhi

The Xindhi are, in Albanian folklore, elves or elfish creatures. Their approaching is accompanied by the creaking of a door or the flickering of a flame. The Xindhi are the male spirits and the Xindha are the female spirits. They are known to be sometimes friendly and helpful, but more often they are cruel to humans.

15. Bukura e dheut
A beautiful fairy among the ancient Albanians who is always very helpful. The supreme god Tomor is her lover. She is sometimes connected with the underworld and shows some demonical aspects. Her name means "the beauty of the earth". Her sister is Bukura e detit, and her name means "the beauty of the sea".

16. Tomor
The supreme god of the ancient Albanians, from Illyrian origin. He is the father of all the gods and humans and lover of the beautiful goddess Bukura e dheut. The winds are his servants. He is also known as Baba Tomor.

17. Prende
Goddess of love worshipped by the ancient Illyrians and, later, the Albanians. The wife of Perendi, the Illyrian thunder-god, Prende is referred to in folktales and legends as the "queen of beauty" (zoja e bukuris). After the Catholicization of the region, Prende was absorbed into the new church as a minor saint; as in pre-Christian days, her holy day always falls on a Friday.

18. Bolla
In ancient Albanian folklore, Bolla is a snake-like (or dragon-like) creature that sleeps throughout the entire year. On Saint George's Day, it will open its eyes and look into the world. A human unfortunate enough to be spotted by Bolla will be devoured instantly. At the end of a twelve-year cycle it mutates into another being, called Kulshedra. This creature is a horrible, fire-breathing dragon with nine tongues. Kulshedra is sometimes also represented as an enormous woman with a hairy body and hanging breasts. The monster can cause a shortage of water and it requires human sacrifices to propitiate it. The creature is also known as Bullar in south Albania.
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."~Harry S. Truman

Suliot

Re: Illyrian - Albanian Mythology, Ancient gods

Post by Suliot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:57 pm

You forgot to mention Zana e maleve. They are almost identical to Sirens of greek folklore but in our case they are creatures with well intentions who guide people that are lost.

Zeus10
Grand Fighter Member
Grand Fighter Member

Post by Zeus10 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Suliot wrote:You forgot to mention Zana e maleve. They are almost identical to Sirens of greek folklore but in our case they are creatures with well intentions who guide people that are lost.
Zana and Sirenes are part of the same folklore, some Albanian studier even think that the Sirenes were singing polyphonic songs similar to the Albanians' today.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Mallakastrioti
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by Mallakastrioti » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:28 am

alfeko sukaraku
Sun Member
Sun Member

Post by alfeko sukaraku » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:11 pm

[/quote]

urime mallakastrioti.

vecse une kam disa "kritika" persa i perket kenges qe shoqeron kete jutube.

Ne radhe te pare baba Aliu i kenges lidhet me fene myslimane ose degen e saj bektashizmin-me sa njohe une.

Ndersa mali i tomorrit lidhet me direkt me Zotin qe sote e 5 mij vjete me pare-me sa njohim.

Ne majen e malit te tomorrit -ne kulmak- gjendet edhe gjurma e Zotit ,ashtu si edhe gjurmet e kalit te tij.Nje tjeter gjurem e Zotit gjendet ne vendin e shenjt ku falej edhe Gjergj Kastrioti-ne Salcatik....mendohet se distanca Kulmak -Salcatik eshte e barabarte me distancat kulmak--? .edhe salcatik --? ,duke krijuar nje trekendesh me tre brinje te barabarta---keshtu folet te pakten.
KOHA ESHTE E MASKARENJVE/POR ATDHEU I SHQIPETRAVE

Mallakastrioti
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by Mallakastrioti » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:26 pm

alfeko sukaraku wrote:
urime mallakastrioti.

vecse une kam disa "kritika" persa i perket kenges qe shoqeron kete jutube.

Ne radhe te pare baba Aliu i kenges lidhet me fene myslimane ose degen e saj bektashizmin-me sa njohe une.

Ndersa mali i tomorrit lidhet me direkt me Zotin qe sote e 5 mij vjete me pare-me sa njohim.

Ne majen e malit te tomorrit -ne kulmak- gjendet edhe gjurma e Zotit ,ashtu si edhe gjurmet e kalit te tij.Nje tjeter gjurem e Zotit gjendet ne vendin e shenjt ku falej edhe Gjergj Kastrioti-ne Salcatik....mendohet se distanca Kulmak -Salcatik eshte e barabarte me distancat kulmak--? .edhe salcatik --? ,duke krijuar nje trekendesh me tre brinje te barabarta---keshtu folet te pakten.

Mire se te vine kritikat alfeko...ja ta shpjegoj pak kete gje perse vura kete keng-ne radhe te pare Baba Tomorri(per krishteret dhe bektashinjte)-apo Abaz Aliu per Muhamedanet eshte i njejte...dhe ne video flitet qe ne date 15-Gusht te krishteret Ortodoks festojne diten e Tomorrit-kurse Muhamedanet e festojne nga data 20-25....pra Tomorri lidh dy fete kryesore ne Jug te Shqiperise.Data 15 qellon me Festen e Shen Merise per Ortodokset kurse data 22(mos gabohem)-eshte Festa e Abaz aliut...kenga nuk ka ndonje qellim fetar-perkundrazi!(Mos harro se jane disa fetare mysylmane wahabbi qe kane sulmuar me teper kete video-pakice nder popullin tone)...
Flm. dhe respekte.

Mallakastrioti
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by Mallakastrioti » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Diçka per Baba Tomorrin ne kete video,alfeko-aty nga mesi....shume interesant e gjeta si liber te them te verteten...Kam nje mikun tim qe ka te beje me Rrok Zojzin(Vepra e tij mbetet unike deri me sot besoj,shkroi dhe percaktoi kalendari primitiv iliro-shqiptar-shume veshtir te gjendet vepra edhe pse po hulumtojne,pasi kerkuan tia zhduknin te gjitha doreshkrimet dhe hulumtimet regjimi i Hoxhes-pasi i perndjekur politik e mbi te gjitha INTELEKTUAL i mirefillt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FJgDNK ... onse_watch

jay_albania_fan

Post by jay_albania_fan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Great post Arta, do you know anything of various folklore characters like a xhuxh or a xhuxhmaxhuxh?

Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Post by Arta » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:29 pm

jay_albania_fan wrote:Great post Arta, do you know anything of various folklore characters like a xhuxh or a xhuxhmaxhuxh?
Jay we use the term "xhuxh" for short people, but as far as I know I do not know anything about as a floklore charcter.
I may look around and see if there's something that I have not read about!
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."~Harry S. Truman

Suliot

Post by Suliot » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:31 pm

The vampire myth is deeply rooted and well known in all Balkan cultures.
I belive that it originated in Albania, not as lugat as some call them but as Dham pir (tooth drinker in albanian). Clearly the albanian word for someone who drinks with his teeth has influnced the western word "vampire".

Now where the actual myth has its origins is impossible to say. One thing is clear though, and that is that this myth spread to western Europe through/from the albanians.

bardus
Star Member
Star Member

Post by bardus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:37 pm

ALBPelasgian wrote:

Nderkaq per hyun ilir 'Mikon' kerkova gjithandej librave online, por pa gjetur gje. Ka ndonje burim te sigurte, pervec disa faqeve online per iliret?

Falemnderit paraprakisht!
Nje burim qe me duket serioz eshte http://www.illyrians.org nga e mora une.

The mythology of Illyrians seems to depict "Mikon" and "Zeau" as being twin brothers .

"Genusus" gave rise to "Mikon" (God of Friendship)

Some deities are known exclusively from Istria,[12] such as Eia, Malesocus, Boria and Iria etj.

bardus
Star Member
Star Member

Post by bardus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Mallakastrioti wrote:

Mire se te vine kritikat alfeko...ja ta shpjegoj pak kete gje perse vura kete keng-ne radhe te pare Baba Tomorri(per krishteret dhe bektashinjte)-apo Abaz Aliu per Muhamedanet eshte i njejte...dhe ne video flitet qe ne date 15-Gusht te krishteret Ortodoks festojne diten e Tomorrit-kurse Muhamedanet e festojne nga data 20-25....pra Tomorri lidh dy fete kryesore ne Jug te Shqiperise.Data 15 qellon me Festen e Shen Merise per Ortodokset kurse data 22(mos gabohem)-eshte Festa e Abaz aliut...kenga nuk ka ndonje qellim fetar-perkundrazi!(Mos harro se jane disa fetare mysylmane wahabbi qe kane sulmuar me teper kete video-pakice nder popullin tone)...
Flm. dhe respekte.

Mallakastriot,falemnderit per kete informate te rendesishme qe u be si nxitje per mua per te gjemuar rreth Baba Aliut dhe u habita kur pashe se Alia, eshte emri i Diellit per Dorianet Ilire dhe se ne Rodos behej Festivali i Diellit.Po e sjell ketu edhe pershkrimin e Hesychiusit rreth kesaj fjale.

Ἁλιεῖα "Dielli" , τά, Dor. for Ἡλιεῖα,
A. festival of the Sun, at Rhodes

pra mendoj se Baba Aliu eshte i njejte me Dielli o Atta.

Return to “Albanian history”