"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Plisi-Qeleshja-Pileus

Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Plisi-Qeleshja-Pileus

Post by Arta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:55 am

The pileus (Latin, plural, pilei) — also pilleus or pilleum — was, in Ancient Greece (where it was the pilos or pilidion) and in Rome, a brimless, felt cap, somewhat similar to a fez. The pilleolus was a smaller cap, similar to a skullcap.
The pileus was especially associated with the manumission of slaves who wore it upon their liberation. It became emblematic of liberty and freedom from bondage, especially in the 18th and 19th centuries when it appeared frequently on statuary and heraldic devices and was known as a "liberty cap" or Phrygian cap.

The pileus particularly identifies the Dioscuri (here on a colossal statue of late Antiquity in the Campidoglio, Rome).

Greece

The pilos (Greek πῖλος, felt) was a common conical travelling hat in Ancient Greece. The pilos is the brimless version of the petasos. It could be made of felt or leather. Their pilos cap identifies the Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, in sculptures, bas-reliefs and vase-paintings; their caps were already explained in Antiquity as the remnants of the egg from which they hatched.[1] The pilos appears on votive figurines of boys at the sanctuary of the kabeiri at Thebes, the Kabeirion.[2]

In warfare, the pilos was often worn by the peltast light infantry, in conjunction with the exomis. The pilos cap was sometimes worn under the helmet by hoplites, but usually they preferred to not use a helmet along with the cap before the 5th century for reasons of mobility.
The pilos helmet was made in the same shape as the original cap. It probably originated from Lakonia and was made from bronze. The pilos helmet was extensively adopted by the Spartan army in the fifth century BC and worn by them until the end of the Classical era.

Rome

In Ancient Rome, a slave was freed by a master in a ceremony that included placing the pileus on the former slave’s shaved head. This was a form of extra-legal manumission (the manumissio minus justa) considered less legally sound than manumission in a court of law.
One 19th century dictionary of classical antiquity states:
Among the Romans the cap of felt was the emblem of liberty. When a slave obtained his freedom he had his head shaved, and wore instead of his hair an undyed pileus (πίλεον λευκόν, Diodorus Siculus Exc. Leg. 22 p. 625, ed. Wess.; Plaut. Amphit. I.1.306; Persius, V.82). Hence the phrase servos ad pileum vocare is a summons to liberty, by which slaves were frequently called upon to take up arms with a promise of liberty (Liv. XXIV.32). The figure of Liberty on some of the coins of Antoninus Pius, struck A.D. 145, holds this cap in the right hand.[3]

Albanian plis

The traditional white felt conical brimless cap worn by Albanian men and called the plis in the Gheg north derives etymologically from the pileus and perhaps there is a historical cultural connection. The same cap in the Tosk Albanian south is called qeleshe, as it is felted of lesh, "wool".

Odysseus wearing a pilos, an exomis and a chlamys.
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."~Harry S. Truman

Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Re: Plisi-Qeleshja-Pileus

Post by Arta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:01 am

Here's "Qylaf" since ancient times.

"Epiroti also gave a description of what region used a shape of different Qylaf."

White cylindro-conical with antenna: Vlora, Kurveleshi, Tepelena, parts of Saranda, Delvina, and Çamëria.

Black boat-shaped: Mostly Orthodox Albanians introduced by the Byzantin church. It has no ancient historical values since it's a new invention with a failed motive to single out the Orthodox Albanians as Greek. Himara and surrounding... parts of Saranda, Delviniote Orthodox and of course, Dropullites.

White cylindrical with flat top and antenna: Gjirokastra, Permeti. It also used to come in red in Ottoman times. Sometimes you find it in Çamëria.

White long cylindrical flat top no antenna: Kolonja and most of Myzeqeja, Skrapari, Gramshi, etc.

White upside-down boat shaped optional antenna: Korca (very limited)

White short cylindrical flat top no antenna: Middle Albania (Durres, Tirane, Elbasan, Kruje, up ti Mat.
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."~Harry S. Truman

Mallakastrioti
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by Mallakastrioti » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:10 am

Ne Portikun e pikturuar i cili njihet me emrin Stoa Pekile ( ἡ ποικίλη στοά), portik i pikturuar i cili daton midis viteve 475-450 p.e.s sipas studiueseve, paraqiten keto skena respektivisht te titulluara:

beteja e Oinoit
Amazonamakia
Ilioupersis,
dhe nje beteje e Maratones
Nje rikonstruktim i kesaj pikture prej Hermann Schenck, i cili e realizoi si ilustrim per vepren filologut dhe arkeologut gjerman Carl Robert, veper me titull "Die Marathonschlacht in der Poikile: und weiteres über Polygnot", (Ilustrim f,127)
Halle a. S., 1895
na paraqet nje pjese interesante prej kesaj pikture dhe pikerisht forcat e Miltiadhit ne skenen e Betejes se Maratones (beteja e Maratones zhvillohet ne vitin 490 p.e.s dhe burimi kryesor apo autori kryesor qe na ka sjelle te dhena eshte Herotodi). Forcat e Miltiadhit, apo njeri prej fiseve komanduar prej Miltiadhit ne kete skene na paraqiten me veshje disi interesante, pasi keta luftetare ne koke mbajne nje kapele me nje forme te ngjashme (apo identike) me ate qe njihet ndryshe si "qeleshen" apo "plis".
"Qeleshja apo Plisi është simbol dhe mbulesë tradicionale e kokës ndër shqiptarët. Plisi shpesh here cilesohet si me e veçanta, pasi perdoret vetem ne trojet shqiptare"

Sigurisht qe do na lindte pyetja, çeshte ky fis "grek" me plisa ne koke i cili lufton nen komanden e Miltiadhit kunder forcave persiane komanduar prej Darit I (te pare)? Ne se ky fis "grek" i cili paraqitet ne kete pikture me plisa ne koke do ishte apo kishte rrenje dhe etnicitet helen, atehere perse kjo kapele eshte tipike veshje shqiptare dhe jo greke?

Arbëri
Universe Member
Universe Member

Post by Arbëri » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Alexander the Great !

“Nëse doni të zbuloni historinë para Krishtit dhe
shkencat e asaj kohe, duhet të studioni gjuhën shqipe !"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz - albanolog, matematicient, filozof gjerman

Arbëri
Universe Member
Universe Member

Post by Arbëri » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Marre nga :The History Of Our Ancestors
Odysseus and Penelope.
Marble.
Rome.
1st century A.D.
“Nëse doni të zbuloni historinë para Krishtit dhe
shkencat e asaj kohe, duhet të studioni gjuhën shqipe !"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz - albanolog, matematicient, filozof gjerman

Mallakastrioti
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by Mallakastrioti » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Sikurse kemi theksuar edhe me pare, arsyeja e mbajtjes se Plisit /Qeleshes nder Ilire ishte diçka praktike. Iliret duke qene nje popull luftarak, nen helmetat apo perkrenaret e tyre prej bronxi vendosnin perhere nje kapele prej leshi, pra ate qe quhet Plis/Qeleshe. Plisi sherbente qe helmeta metalike te mos ishte ne kontakt te drejteperdrejte me koken, pra kishte me teper nje arsye praktike se sa "mode". Nuk do ishte e llogjikshme te vendosej helmeta ne koke pa nje mbrojtje te brendshme. I njejti kriter perdoret edhe ne helmetat moderne te cilat jane te veshura (mbushur) nga brenda.

Mallakastrioti
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by Mallakastrioti » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Interesante do shtoja. Fatkeqesisht nuk e kane datuar si monedhe ciles periudhe apo shekulli i perket (?). Gjetur ne qytetin e lashte Scylletium (–> Scylacium, Scolatium, Scyllaceum, Scalacium, Scylaeium) ne Bruzio, Catanzaro (Itali)

Mallakastrioti
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by Mallakastrioti » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:01 am

Sigurisht i kemi trajtuar terminologjite, por etimologet gati e pranojne ne menyre te terthorte qe kjo kapele si baze ka rrenjen e fjales "lesh".

Ne shqip kemi "plis" apo "qeleshe" dhe kjo qe ben pershtypje eshte se vet fjala latine "pileus" per kete kapele ka rrenjen ne greqishten e lashte, sipas studiueseve, por qe kuptimi i saj eshte "di lana (ita.) = prej leshi (shq./alb)
Pra, ne shqip ka ngelur jo vetem termi, por edhe kjo kapele interesante qe ka rrenjet qe ne lashtesi dhe qe sot eshte tipike shqiptare!

"Πιλήσεως τής διά τής τών έρίων πυκνώσεως γινομένης έσθήτος= Veshje e cila prodhohet duke shtypur leshin" (Platoni)

arben.kalaj

Post by arben.kalaj » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Ja dhe sundimtari babilonas nabonido me plisin e njejte te laberis

Return to “Balkan history”