"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Alexander the Great - Research

Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Alexander the Great - Research

Post by Arta » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Providing a wide collection of book references covering the life of Alexander the Great, his mother Olympias and the Epirotes.
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."~Harry S. Truman

Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Re: Alexander the Great - Research

Post by Arta » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Wanted also to bring some of zeus10 research here about Alexander the Great!

zeus10
Curtius(2) Hist. Alex. Magni Maced., IV, I11.4.:

... which narrates another event of the kingdom of Alexander... considered as an indication that the Macedonian language was not a Greek dialect, but a different language: the general Philotas was accused by one of his compatriots of not feeling ashamed,

" . . . Macedonatus, homines linguae suae per interpretem audire,"
". . . born a Macedonian, to hear the men of his language through an interpreter,"

i.e., according to this passage, Philotas had need of translators in order to understand the mother tongue.
Yet in a curious way, this passage comes to contradict another by the same author in the same document (VI.9.34-36.) Alexander asks if Philotas will speak in the language of their fathers,

"... Macedones ... de te indicaturi sunt, quero an patrio sermone sis apud eos usurus," "... the Macedonians who will judge you, I ask if you will use the language of [our] fathers with them,"

and elicited the response:

"Praeter Macedonas ... plerique adsunt, quos facilius quae dicam percep-turus arbitror, si eadem lingua fuero usus qua tu egisti, non ob aliud, credo quam ut oratio tua intellegi posset a pluribus,"
"[Above and] beyond the Macedonians ... there are many present whom, I feel, will more easily grasp the things I say if I use the same language you did, for no other reason, I believe, than that your speech might be understood by many."

This explanation caused the angry remarks of Alexander that Philotas neglects to speak in the language of their fathers:

"Ecquid videtis adeo etiam sermonis patrii Philotan toedere? Solus quippe fastidit eum discere. Sed dicat sane utcumque ei cordi est, dum memineritis aeque ilium a nostro more quam sermone abhorrere,"
"Have you ever seen Philotas reject the language of [our] fathers heretofore? Indeed, he alone is averse to learning it. Let him then say, however, it is in his heart, since you will remember that he is opposed to our custom[s] as well as our language."
zeus10

1.(Justinus, book. VII. 1. 1).The entire Macedonia, a country with great political ideals and ruler of the world in the times of Alexander the Great, had had in ancient times a Pelasgian population

2.(Apollodorus, Bibl. book. III. 8. 1). Macedo, the national patriarch of Macedonia, appears in the ancient genealogy of the peoples from the Hem peninsula, as a descendant of Pelasgians.

3.Herodotus(book.I. 56) also writes that the Pelasgians who dwelt in the region of Pindus were called Macedoni.
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."~Harry S. Truman

Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Post by Arta » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:56 pm

zeus10

Alexander the Great

Leka i Madhe

Sir William Woodthorpe Tarn, of the British Academy, regarded worldwide as having written the definitive work on Alexander the Great, states in the opening paragraph of his book Alexander the Great that "Alexander certainly had from his father (Philip II) and probably from his mother (Olymbia) Illyrian, i.e. Albanian, blood!"*

During Rose Wilder Lane's visit to Albania in 1921 resulting in the publication in1923 of her book Peaks of Shala, she heard the following rather extraordinary rendition of Albanian oral history about Alexander the Great from an Albanian elder:

"There was at that time two capitals of the united kingdom of Macedonia. There was Pela, between Salonika and Manastir, and there was Emadhija**, the old capital, lying in the valley which is now Mati (a high, fertile plateau north of Shkodra, near the coast of northern Albania - ED).

"Alexander's father, Filip the Second had great houses in both Pela and Emadhija, and before Lec i Madhe was born, his mother left Pela and came back to the original capital, Emadhija. It was there that Lec i Madhe was born, and there he lived until he was out of the cradle and rode on a horse when he first went down into Pela to see his father who came from the city to meet and see his son for the first time.

"Filip the Second was very proud of his son, and his pride led him to the one great foolishness of a good and wise king. He said that he would make Lec i Madhe king of the world, and that was well enough, but he thought to be king of the world a man must be more learned than he himself. Whereas all old men who have watched the ways of the world know that to be strong and ruthless will make a man powerful, but to be learned makes a man full of dreams and hesitations.

"In his pride and blindness, Filip the Second sent to Greece for an Albanian who had learned the ways of the ancien Greeks, and to that man he gave the boy, to be taught books. (The Albanian's) name was Aristotle, and he came from a family of the tribe of Ajeropi, his father having gone to a village in Macedonia and became a merchant there. Being rich, he sent his son, who was fond of thought rather than of action, to learn the ancient Greek ways of thinking. And it was this man who was brought by Filip the Second to teach his son."***

P 1, ALEXANDER THE GREAT, W.W. Tarn, Beacon Press, Boston, 1956

"Emadhija" means in Albanian "the great city"

PP 184, 186, 187, PEAKS OF SHALA, Rose Wilder Lane.Harper Brothers & Publishers, New York & London, 1923

Other nationalities , of course, have long laid claim to Alexander the Great as one of their own - most notably the Macedonians and the Greeks. However, as cited so authoritatively in the opening paragraph of Tarn's book, Alexander the Great can be rightfully identified as an Albanian
zeus10

Arnavutlu Iskender Bey, (Albanian: Skenderbeu Shqiptari, English:
Skanderbeg, the Albanian). In Turkish and Albanian this title means
Lord Alexander the Albanian, Alexander the Great).
Skanderbeg’s helmet is made of white metal, adorned with a strip
dressed in gold. On its top lies the head of a horned goat made of bronze, also dressed in gold. The bottom part bears a copper strip adorned with a monogram separated by rosettes * IN * PE * RA * TO * RE * BT *, which means: Jhezus Nazarenus * Principi Emathie * Regi Albaniae * Terrori Osmanorum * Regi Epirotarum * Benedictat Te (Jesus Nazarene Blesses Thee [Skanderbeg], Prince of Mat, King of Albania, Terror of the Ottomans, King of Epirus). It is thought that the copper strip with the monogram is the work of the descendants of Skanderbeg and was placed there by them, as Skanderbeg never held any other title but “Lord of Albania” (Dominus Albaniae).
The first element which commands attention is the meaning and symbolism
of the horned goat on the helmet. The cult of the wild
goat, the symbol of the “zana” or goddess "Diana".Note: Dhi-ana;
Lady of the Goats in Albanian. The 'Z', 'D', 'Th' shift is vey common like Zeus,
Deus, Theos. There are signs indicating that the cult of the wild goat is
very ancient. The Roman writer and historian of the I-II century A.D., S.
Suetom Tanquilli (De Vita Caesarum, L.II, 12, 94.) writes that the Roman
Emperor Augustus, after putting down the Illyrian revolt of Bato, cut a coin
bearing the head of a horned goatto celebrate the victory.

EMATHIA=macedonia
E mathia------the great
maqedhon-------ma qe e dhon(alb) ------pastoral people(shephard)
There were arable tracts but the country was predominantly pastoral.
zeus10

The HORNED GOAT

Amaltia Loving Zeus, nourishes baby Zeus and hides him from his father, who wants to kill him. She fed him with milk. Also the food of the gods is ambroz and honey.

amalt-thia-----i amalt(gheg-alb)--i amelt(gheg)----i ambel(gheg)--i embel(tosk)---qumesht(syn)-----milk(eng)
also
amalt-thia------malt(alb)-----mjalt(alb)----honey(eng)
thia-----dhia(alb)-----the goat

Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Post by Arta » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:15 pm

zeus10

Alexandros is nominal.
Alexander is nominal as well.
the difference is what in albanian is called "trajte"(form)

trajte e shquar (definite noun)-------------
Aleksandri ----------------

trajte e pashquar(indefinite noun)
Aleksander

when a child is borned the name is not given in "definite form" but in "indefinite form" of the noun.
PSH ---kete femi do ta quajme Aleksander---this child will be called Aleksander

os---of ""greek""" language is again Albanian (genitive) that helenes who developed another albanian dialect put as nominal.
pirro---nominative
i pirros---genitive
pirros--dative
pirron---accusative
pirros

Why?
Because: when a tribe is named is named by his king's name

ex-----shqiptaret a pirros

or another kind of genitive

thraket e Eumolpit

Arta
Sun Member
Sun Member

Post by Arta » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:08 am

In the Balkan party of the political struggle for creating ethnic identity we find a new actor, the Macedonians. They are erecting to the best of their ability, a duplicate of the pathetic Serbian & Greek propaganda, always at the expense of the only language and culture unaltered nation: The Albanians.
After much preparation and a hard political battle with the Greeks over the identity of the Ancient Macedonians and their symbol Alexander, the shameless Science Academy of Macedonia, came up with the so called Encyclopedia of the Macedonian History, claiming Alexander the Great and Ancient Macedonians their ancestor, while the Albanians as Mountains People, who usurped their beloved Macedonia about the 17-th Century. These theses look identical to their Slavic brothers, Serbs, whose pretenses upon Albanians territories are supported to similar concepts of Albanians mass migrations towards Serbians land. Macedonians engaged in a desperate battle to their twins in propaganda, the Greeks, they found the way to get rid to their Albanian neighbors, claiming them in a desperate political movement under the cover of scientific facts, as not participants of the ancient history. Although the ancient Balkan territories were not part of anything resembling integrated national entities, the modern Macedonian and Greek scholars are fighting upon a name Alexander the Great. The Macedonians until now have not shown any particular connection to the ancient ones whatsoever, despite the enormous propaganda. So does the Greeks, except the language which telling the truth has many lexical similarities. But we already know that their language is an adoption of Church Byzantine Empire language. Since their state creation a modern ethnic Greek doesnt bear the same significance as the ancient one. Since its creation, the state of the so called Greeks doesnt includes the territories lived completely or partially by the ethnic Greeks but those lands inhabited by various ethnic groups who: "took and will take the weapons" against the Ottoman dynasty.

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Here is one of my newest video regarding Alexander's nationality. The video contain a world-wide collection of quotes by classical scholars. Enjoy watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK7iHJ6xTx0
Ne sot po hedhim faren me emrin Bashkim,
Qe neser te korrim frutin me emrin Bashkim!

Return to “Balkan history”