"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Our great linguists

Flisni për gjuhën shqipe, magjinë e saj, evoluimin, lidhjet e saj me gjuhët e tjera, rreziqet që i kanosen.

Moderators: Hymniarber, bardus

Orakulli
Star Member
Star Member

Our great linguists

Post by Orakulli » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:13 am

Atmir Ilias:
If for you the language evolution is an unchanging process, where always the elite decides what is natural and what is artificial on it, you have to deal with the subjectivity of science. If we do not see the dynamic of the process, we must accept that people started to speak when thay have had 500 thousand words and the "ing" was invented thousands years ago, simultaneosly by all english people of that time. That's why the Evolution is still a theory.
I'm telling you only a little evidence.
The word "ingnorare-ignore". Why its pronounciation has changed in Italian ? There is not anymore the "g" sound, althought it was a soft "g" and it's not placed at the end of the word.
But, when the frequence of "g" is very high and the people try to avoid always its pronounciation and a lot of g-end words are being pronounced without tha 'g', it is difficult to reject the fact that is a severe issue. That issue came from the elite ; there is always a cause, who really has made the language and they did not know the phonetic rules.

Atmir Ilias:
1.ignorare /iɲɲoˈrare/
2.ignore/ig-ˈnȯr\

Pflaumbaum:

Re ignorare, I'm not sure there ever was a /g/. The Latin was probably pronounced something like /iŋnoː'raːre/.

Atmir Ilias:
Pflaumbaum,
... Albanian is fairly enough for me.
What I think is that the "g" is a code, and I still insist, although someone does not like it.
Congratulation, You find it in the "gist", which in Albanian is "finger", but Albanians also have it in the words like /bajg/, which means /dung/. They have the same position of "g"-s and the same meaning
Do not forget that "baj" means "make". You can use a calculator to find out the differences.
Um.. It is also in God…

Atmir Ilias:
How about significāre/siɲɲifiˈkare/, segno /ˈseɲɲo/ ?
Pflaumbaum:
Again, no /g/ in the Latin. Orthographical gn probably = ŋn. See e.g. Allen, Vox Latina for evidence.

Note: So that last sentece of Pflaumbaum didn't save him from the idiocy: No /g/ sound in Latin, even though he speaks prefectly English.

Return to “Gjuha shqipe”