"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

King Agron?

Discuss about members and yourself, welcome new members, greet other people.
macgoddess

King Agron?

Post by macgoddess » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:18 am

Hi,

Name Last name is Agron - looking for information regarding the name…………I did find a King Agron and am wondering if I should buy a tiara! Royalty in San Diego CA? Not gonna happen.

Regards,
Miriam Agron

Zeus10
Grand Fighter Member
Grand Fighter Member

Re: King Agron?

Post by Zeus10 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:48 am

King Agron was one of the greatest kings ruling the kingdom of Illyrians, and established his kigdom capital in what is today Albania. But if you are an Albanian, judging by your name, you might know better about him.
By the way welcome to arberiaonline forum.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

macgoddess

Post by macgoddess » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:43 pm

I decided it was time to find out about my ancestry. My father was born in Russia. A Russian Jew. Emigrated to the USA early 20th century. He was related to the founder of the Jerusalem Post, Gershon Agron and also Martin Agronsy who was a correspondent during WW!! and one of the first commentators on PBS. There are Puerto Rican Agrons who are Catholic and may have come from Spain -probably running for their lives. Quite by accident this past week I came across King Agron - well, that's how I landed here. Now what! My question du jour is, should I buy the tiara?

Never thought of Albania to be part of my background - may not even be of Jewish ancestry..........the mystery deepens. More later.

Nice of you to write
Miriam Agron

erix77
Star Member
Star Member

Post by erix77 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:24 pm

hey are you related to the actress Dianna Agron?
Dhe e bëmë me besa besën ja të rrojmë ja të vdesëm!

Ishte thënë prej Zotit që të nderohen armët e Shqipërisë!

macgoddess

Post by macgoddess » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:21 am

Hi,

Re D. Agron. I suspect that somewhere down the line we may be related. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to contact her.

Miriam Agron

erix77
Star Member
Star Member

Post by erix77 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:09 am

i was just curious.

Personally i don't think that your name has much to do with King Agron of Illyria probably it is just a coincidence.
Dhe e bëmë me besa besën ja të rrojmë ja të vdesëm!

Ishte thënë prej Zotit që të nderohen armët e Shqipërisë!

Arban Blandi
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Arban Blandi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:21 pm

macgoddess wrote:I decided it was time to find out about my ancestry. My father was.. a Russian Jew. He was related to the founder of the Jerusalem Post, Gershon Agron and also Martin Agronsy.. There are Puerto Rican Agrons who are Catholic and may have come from Spain - probably running for their lives. Quite by accident this past week I came across King Agron - well, that's how I landed here. Now what! My question du jour is, should I buy the tiara? Never thought of Albania to be part of my background - may not even be of Jewish ancestry..........the mystery deepens. More later.

Miriam Agron
Thank you for visiting us @ArberiaOnlineForum for this little curiosity.
Our Scribd Channel - History was a damn dim candle over a damn dark abyss.

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Unfortunately I don't know someone that has done researches on these similiarities between hebraic and albanian and old greek names and language.
As far as I know Condrad Malte Brun (a Danish scholar of XIX century) has made an exhausting work about Albanian-Hebrew similarities. Later it was followed by the writings of Arbesh linguist Xhyzepe Krispi (a relative of Francesco Crispi - the first prime minister of Italy of Albanian descent) who noticed many concordances between two languages.
Ne sot po hedhim faren me emrin Bashkim,
Qe neser te korrim frutin me emrin Bashkim!

Socio
Star Member
Star Member

Post by Socio » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:51 pm

'Agron' is a very old name of indo-european root. One can find it among people of different creeds around the globe.
Here in London, there is a research organisation, I worked for, named 'AGRONI' that deals with ethnic minorities living in the UK, mainly in London.
No, this is not an Albanian organisation even-though believing that it was such was one reason I got in touch with them the first time.

'AGRONI', the founder and leader of this organisation (who, originally, comes from Bangladesh), tells me in his language means 'SUN-RISE' otherwise 'DAWN' !

Surprised ?!

Well, not really, if we look into Albanian language for 'Sun-rise' or 'Dawn' we find 'AGON', so without 'R' !

Coincidence ?!

I don't think so ..

Moreover, historical evidence indicates that Illyrians were sun-worshipers and in many cases their leaders as well as folk carried names with sun attributes which they worshipped, for instance 'HYLL' - the Star, or BARDHYLL - the white Star, simply meaning the SUN.

Could it be that AGRON, Illyrian king's name, also meant 'SUN-RISE' back then ?!
One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present

macgoddess

Post by macgoddess » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:46 am

erix77 wrote:i was just curious.

Personally i don't think that your name has much to do with King Agron of Illyria probably it is just a coincidence.

When "push comes to shove" as we say. We are all related.

M.Agron

macgoddess

Post by macgoddess » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:52 am

I was curious to know if anyone has ever seen a statue of King Agron.

macgoddess

Post by macgoddess » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:13 am

Thank all of you for the information. I will keep checking around and see what I come up with.

Miriam Agron

Return to “Member spotlight, greetings, welcomes”