"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Quota per shqiptaret.

Sillni citime historike për figurat e historise shqiptare, për racën dhe vendin e arbërve.

Moderator: Arban Blandi

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Re: Quota per shqiptaret.

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:41 pm

“The characteristics and mode of lide of these people are obscure, but it is thought that, of the two, the Illyrians were the later comers who drove the Thracians eastward into the central Balkan regions. By some authorities the modern Albanians are thought to represent the only relic of the ancient Illyrian population that has survided to the present day”.

A short history of Yugoslavia from early times to 1966
By Stephen Clissold, Henry Clifford Darby, p. 8
I njejti liber:
To the south, there were still some tribes who had escaped romanization, and who now escaped slavonicization; these became the Albanians of later times. With the exception of the Italians, the Morlachs and the Albanians, the whole area became Slav in language and culture, and the name of ‘Illyria’ disappeared from history until it was revived in quite different contexts in the eighteenth and ninteent centuries. (p. 12)
Ne sot po hedhim faren me emrin Bashkim,
Qe neser te korrim frutin me emrin Bashkim!

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:56 pm

These invaders drove out the earlier residents, principally the Illyrians, who probably took refuge in the southwest as the ancestors of today's largely Muslim Albanians. The Serbians were a Slavic tribe that migrated south from the ...

Collier's encyclopedia: with bibliography and index: Volume 3
Lauren S. Bahr, Bernard Johnston (M.A.) - 1993
*Verejtje:

Autoreve s'mund t'u zihet per te madhe pohimi se "shqiptaret muslimane jane pasardhes te ilireve" per arsye se duket qarte nga konteksti se Kosoven e trajton sipas klisheve te coroditura ne perendim qe gjoja lufterat ne Kosove jane motivuar nga perplasje fetare...

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 pm

...on the kinship and the relations of the Balts with the Thracians and their closest kin, the Illyrians and the Albanians.

History of Latvia: an outline, Arnolds Spekke, M. Goppers, 1957, p. 34

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Albanians are descended from the Illyrians, an ancient people settled in the mountains of the southwest from at least 1000 BC. Their difficult and remote terrain has enabled their language and culture to escape assimilation.

Encyclopedia of World Geography: Eastern Europe - Page 1830, Peter Haggett - 2002
Albanians trace their ethnic roots to the ancient Thraco-Illyrians who inhabited western regions of the Balkan peninsula for well over 2000 years. While most Illyrians assimilated into other groups over the centuries, it is believed...

Minority rights: problems, parameters, and patterns in the CSCE context, Volume 4, Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, 1991, p. 117
The Albanians have largely avoided assimilation by their neighbours, despite centuries of incursion and exploitation, and see themselves as direct descendents of the pre-Hellenic, Hallstatt culture Illyrians.

The states of Eastern Europe: Volume 1; Volume 1, Francis W. Carter, David Turnock, Francis W. Carter - 1999
By the sixth century, the Balkans became the target of invading Slavic tribes who absorbed many of the Illyrians. Those who successfully resisted assimilation moved southward and by the eleventh century occupied most of the territory of present-day Albania and were known as the Albanoi.

Journal: Volume 5, Issue 1, Institute of Muslim Minority Affairs
The dispossessed Illyrians were concentrated in present-day Albania and the scattered Thraco-Dacians were...

A history of eastern Europe: crisis and change - Page 40, Robert Bideleux, Ian Jeffries - 1998
The old Illyrian tongue still lives in Albania, Orthodox, Catholic, and Mussulman -, the tongue of Old Rome survives ..

The Saturday review of politics, literature, science and art: Volume 42, John Douglas Cook, Philip Harwood, Walter Herries Pollock -

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 pm

The ancient ancestors of modern Albanians were known as the Illyrians. These tribes occupied most of what is now Albania, and adjoining parts of the Balkans...

The Southern Balkans, James Pettifer, Hugh Poulton, MRG-Greece - 1994
In the sixth century the Slavs began their incursions into the Balkan Peninsula and gradually assimilated the remnants of the Illyrians and Thracians, except for small Illyrian groups that retreated into the mountainous regions along the Adriatic coast — the ancestors of the present-day Albanians.

Kingdoms of Europe: an illustrated encyclopedia of ruling monarchs , Gene Gurney - 1982
But, watching the parade of centuries down the corridor of time, we note with admiration that always Albania drove out or assimilated her invaders; although conquered, invincible in her national individuality.

World order: Volume 1, National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of the United States - 1936, p. 88

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:17 pm

The original territory of the Albanians, in the high mountains from Kruje to the Sar range, represented the contraction of unlatinized Illyrians, who eluded the Roman assimilatory faculties

The national question in Yugoslavia: origins, history, politics - Page 46
Ivo Banač - 1988

Mallakastrioti
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by Mallakastrioti » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Kur Mali i Zi quhej "Albania" (Albania Veneta) ne shek. XVII. Kufijte ku ndahej Shqiperia prej Dalmacise, pikerisht mbi Kotorr dhe shkruar pikerisht prej dores se guvernatorit te asaj kohe te Kotorrit!
---
-Bibliografia Dalmata tratta da Codici della Marciana di Venezia- f.23
Giuseppe Valentinelli

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Pasazhet e meposhtme jane te marra nga nje numer i 'National Geographic'. Nje kohe pata menduar se keto materiale me jane fshire nga kompjuteri, por fatmiresisht i ri-gjeta duke kerkuar permes 'google' -winer-

Lexim te kendshem!
Edwin A. (Edwin Augustus) Grosvenor. The races of Europe ; an account which removes the padlock of technicality from the absorbing story of the mixture of peoples in the most densely populated continent. (page 4 of 10)

THE ALBANIANS *

The Albanians occupy a territory east of the
Adriatic, roughly corresponding to ancient
Epirus and southern Illyricum
Their origin
and language present many difficulties. Pro-
fessor Ripley believes they are "indigenous to
their country.
"
Dr. Deniker calls them "a sepa-
rate Adriatic or Dinaric race." It is reasona-
ble to regard them as the most ancient people
of southeastern Europe, descendants of the
Pelasgi

Their language is supposed to be the sole
survivor of the primitive Thraco-Illyrian group.

Its vocabulary is encumbered with many Greek,
Latin, Italian, Slavic, and Turkish words, but
the grammar is its own.

The Albanians show remarkable racial te-
nacity.
Albanian communities in Italy and
Sicily, dating from the fifteenth century and
having a population of over 200,000,' have fused
little with the Italians, and in marked degree
retain their own language and customs. So to
less extent do 200,000 Albanians domesticated
in Greece.

Disdain of foreigners and pride of ancestry,
though ignorant of what that ancestry is, keep
them apart.
This pride and their mountain life
have fostered a passionate love of independ-
ence.
Grote describes them as "poor, rapacious,
fierce, and formidable in battle," but they have
many virtues, are faithful, generous, and hos-
pitable. Nowhere is a woman safer than in
their wild mountains

Known by foreigners as Albanians, people
of the snow-land, they call themselves skipe-
tari, or mountaineers. At home and abroad
thev number about 1,500,000. Of their numer-
ous" tribes, the Catholic Mirdites, who allow no
Moslem in their vicinity, are the most impor-
tant and powerful.

The river Shkumbi, along which may still be
traced the Roman Egnatian Way, separates the
Christian Albanians into two groups, north-
ward, the Roman Catholic Ghegs ; southward,
the Greek Orthodox Toscs. The former use
the Latin alphabet, the latter the Greek alpha-

* See also, in National Geographic Maga-
zine, "The Albanians," by Theron J. Damon
(November, IQ12) ; "Recent Observations m
Albania." by Brig. Gen. George P. Scnven
(August, 1918).

bet. They have no accepted alphabet of their
own, though many attempts, some of them
curious, have been made to supply the lack. At
least half the Albanians are Moslems, result of
conquest, who will gradually return to their
former Christian faith or emigrate.

George Castriota, or Scanderbeg, who de-
feated the Turks continuously through twenty
years, is their national hero. Marco Bozzaris,
of whom Fitz-Greene Halleck wrote, "At mid-
night in his guarded tent," was also an Alba-
nian
So was Mahomet Ali Pasha, the fore-
most Moslem figure of the nineteenth century.

European statecraft never showed itself more
humorous than when, in 1913, it designated the
timorous Prince of Weid to be king of the
Albanians.

THE GREEKS *

A map of Greek settlements, as they existed
in the sixth century before the Christian era,
would serve as a map of the lands they inhabit
today. Their colonists in southern France and
southern Italy have merged in the modern
Frenchman and Italian. Otherwise, the Greece
of five hundred years before Christ and the
Greece of nineteen hundred and eighteen years
after Christ coincide.

Torrents of invasion have flooded Greece —
Goths, Venetians, Lombards, French, Germans,
Ottomans, Albanians, Vlachs, many of whom
have permanently remained.
Constantine Por-
phyrogenitus wrote, in the tenth century
, "All
Greece has become Slav
" Henri de Valen-
ciennes, in the thirteenth century
, thought
Greece had become French.
Fallmerayer, in
the nineteenth century, demonstrated that the
Greeks have "hardly a drop of true Greek
blood in their veins."

A subject people since their conquest by the
Romans, through three centuries serfs of west-
ern Europe, the next three centuries slaves to
Turks, the Greeks have known freedom only
since those seven years of horror which we
call the Greek Revolution (1821-8).

Yet their civilization was able to permeate
the Eastern Roman Empire, so that after the
seventh century the latter is called the Greek
or Byzantine. Until early in the nineteenth
century all Turkish Christian subjects in the
peninsula were considered Greeks. Their im-
perishable language, daily heard in the ritual
of their Church, was and is spoken, in however
debased and corrupt a form, by Greeks every-
where.

Yet despite decimation and an almost unlim-
ited intermingling of foreign elements, the
Greek remains the same in physical features,
manner of life and occupation, and personal
characteristics and tastes. His face is still

* See also, in National Geographic Maga-
zine "Greece and Montenegro" (March, 1913)-
and "Greece of Today," by U. S. Senator
George Higgins Moses (October, 1915), and
^'Saloniki," by H. G. Dwight (September,
1916).

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Kjo isha krejt cka munda te shkepus nga nje artikull fort i mire ne 'Chamber's journal'. Kerkova per shume kohe te gjeja ne archive.org, por thjesht nuk ia dola mbane. Cdo ndihme e juaja ne kete drejtim do te ishte e mireseardhur!
Rooted in their mountains, the Albanians have held their own for three thousand years, possibly for longer. At the time of their greatest expansion they must have reached well-nigh to the Danube; and that they crossed the Gulf of Corinth is well known. The Macedonian Phalanx was formed and recruited by Albanians ; and though some writers have...

^Chambers's journal, William Chambers, Robert Chambers, Orr and Smith, 1913, p. 301

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:00 pm

ALBANIAN (native name, Skipetar; ancient name, Illyrian; called by Turks Arnaut). The native and aboriginal race or people of Albania or western Turkey. Unlike most of the so-called European "races," this is a distinct race physically and not Albanian. merely linguistically. It has the smallest population of any independent division of the Aryans in Europe and does not even appear by name in immigration statistics. The Albanians are perhaps less known in a scientific way than any other European people, unless it be certain tribes of the Caucasus. Not only is their classification uncertain in the newer science of physical anthropology, philologists also are still disagreed as to their place in the IndoEuropean family. (See article Aryan.) Misled by the Greek loan-words in it, scholars first classified Albanian as a Hellenic dialect.' Others as vainly have tried to place it in the Italic division or in the Slavic. It appears to be really one of the eight or nine distinct branches of the Aryan family tree. It is the most backward in cultivation of all. It hardly has a literature. Like the neighboring Servian or Croatian (see), it labors under the misfortune of being written in different alphabets, in both the Greek and the Latin, according to the religion prevalent in each locality. It is not surprising that the rate of illiteracy is one of the highest in Europe. From a physical point of view, a more favorable judgment can be awarded Albanians. Tall and muscular, of rather blond and regular features, the Albanian is clearly Caucasian, although subject to a race Mongolian in origin, the Turk. (See articles on these.) Yet in one respect he resembles the Asiatic type; he has one of the broadest heads not only of Europe but of the world. The face is broad, in sharp contrast with the long, oval face of the pure Greek type, which adjoins the

4 The Immigration Commission. Albanian. Albanian on the south. It is this combination of "giantism" and hyperbrachycephaly, that makes the race physically distinct and seems to warrant Deniker in giving it a separate name, the "Adriatic" or "Dinaric." It resembles most the "Celtic" or "Alpine" race, and is so placed by some. But the type is taller: the northern Albanians, like the Montenegrins, rival the Scotch and the Norwegians in stature. The Albanians are to-day a mixed race, as is every European people. From northern Albania the type shades off in every direction, most rapidly on the south, where it borders on the long-headed, darker, and shorter Mediterranean type. On the east, and especially on the north, it merges into the great wave of Slavic invasion, nearly as broad-headed as the Albanian in type but considerably shorter. The Turks are so few in number in European Turkey and have assimilated so little with the Albanians that they have had but little influence in the composition of the race. Indeed, it is not the Turkish race that incloses the Albanians on the east, but the Bulgarians of Turkey. On the southeast is a small Roumanian populatioi, the Tsintsars. (See corresponding articles.) No line can be drawn as to physical type between those Albanians who inhabit the northern border of Albania and the Serbo-Croatian peoples that adjoin them; that is, the Montenegrins, the Dalmatians, the Bosnians, and the southern Serbs. (See all these in article Croatian.) The same "Adriatic" type can be followed parallel with the sea until it merges into the " Alpine " type among the Friulans or Ladins, non-Italian Latins of the Italian border. To speak more precisely, the extremely high cephalic index of 89 has been found at Scutari, near the northern border of Albania, and the same (88) even in Epirus, Albanian. where most of the people are Greeks. The average height is about 5 feet 7 inches, although on the Herzegovinian border it reaches 5 feet 9 inches. The Albanians go under many different names. Skipetar and Arnaut are equivalents of Albanian. All mean " highlander." (Compare the Alb in Albanian with Alp.) Until about the fifteenth century they were not called Albanians but Illyrians, or even Macedonians. From them came the name of the ancient Roman province of Illyricum, embracing Epirus and parts of Macedonia, and of Napoleon's "Illyrian Provinces;" and from these latter came the name Illyrian, wrongly appropriated by all the Serbo-Croatians (Slavs) early in the last century. As already indicated, all the Slavs of the Balkan Peninsula made their settlements during the middle ages. The Albanians, or Illyrians proper, previously occupied the entire country north to the Danube. The names of the less important dialects and tribes need not be considered. Some of them are temporary; that is, dependent upon the tribal system of government which still obtains. The Gegs and the Tosks, however, are to be sharply distinguished. The Gegs, including the Malliesors and the Mirdites, are the northern Albanians; while the Tosks, including the Yapides, are those living in Epirus on the south. The Gegs are mainly Mohammedans and Roman Catholics using the Latin alphabet; the Tosks are also in part Mohammedan, but mainly Orthodox, like their neighbors, the Greeks, whose religion, civilization, and even language they have in great part adopted. The northern Gegs are more rude and warlike and generally herdsmen; the Tosks, more civilized and settled agriculturists. The Gegs are taller and more truly Albanian in type; the Tosks, darker and more like the modern Greeks.

Dictionary of Races or Peoples. 15 Albanian. The Albanians' main distinction in history is the persistence with which they have kept their independence. Even the Turkish rule in Albania has been but nominal ever since the Moslems first overran the Peninsula in the fifteenth century. It is felt only in the larger towns. They are brave, but turbulent in spirit-warriors rather than workers. Even their own tribes are at enmity among themselves and tribal and family feuds are common. Albania, somewhat indefinite in its boundaries, is but a small country, less than 300 miles long by 40 broad. It embraces the Turkish vilayets of Scutari and Janina and a part of Monastir. In the wider sense it includes ancient Epirus and a part of Macedonia. There are also Turks and Greeks Alsatian. settled in Albania, and even Roumanians (Tsintsars) in the southeast; but the basis of the population is Albanian. No census of Albanians has ever been taken. They probably number 1,500,000; some say 2,000,000. There are also some 250,000 in the eastern part of Greece and 90,000 in southern Italy and Sicily, where they established colonies centuries ago. The number in the Austro-Hungarian provinces north of Albania is still less. In Monastir they number only about 12,000. In religion the Albanians are said to be about equally divided among the Moslem, the Catholic, and the Greek faiths. Somewhat careful religious statistics have been privately collected for the greater portion of Albania, as follows: Vilayets. Mohda- Catholic. Orthodox. Jewish. Total. medan. Sctitarl............................. 133,965 81,997 6,642........ 222,604 Janina.......................................... 228,346 267,317 3,439 499,102 Total................................... 362,311 355,956 3,439 721,706 In total population Albanians rank below almost all the "races" of Europe. They perhaps outnumber the Slovenians of Austria and are half as numerous as the Norwegians, the Danes, or the Western Finns. But since they have emigrated extensively to Greece and to Italy and the rate of immigration to America on the part of their northern neighbors, the Croatians and Slovenians, is one of the highest in Europe, it would appear probable that the Albanians also are to be reckoned with as a factor of American immigration. Thus far they have not been counted separately by the Bureau of Immigration. Some of them as immigrants are called Greeks because they speak that language; others, Turks because the Mohammedan Albanians often call themselves Turks; others appear in the column of " Other peoples." In this column we find about 2,000 in 1907, 1,300 of whom came from Turkey in Europe. The number of Greeks reported from the same country was 7,000; the number of Turks, 1,100.

^Dictionary of races or peoples, United States. Immigration Commission (1907-1910), Daniel Folkmar, Elnora Cuddeback Folkmar - 1911 -

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Shqiperia ime e embel - bota e tingujve te magjishem te lashtesive:
Shepherd music played on a bamboo instrument like a panpipe, pre-classic, Etruscan perhaps. I have heard similar music in the mountains of Albania where pre-Greek, Illyrian racial strains linger. A phylogenetic nostalgia conveyed by this music — Atlantean?

The yage letters redux - Page 14, William S. Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, Oliver C. G. Harris - 2006

Socio
Star Member
Star Member

Post by Socio » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Flm, Alb i palodhshem !!
One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 am

Probably less is known of Albania than of any other country in Europe, though Albania is the home of the oldest people of the Balkan Peninsula. In spite of many centuries under foreign rule, they have kept a national feeling and also a language and customs quite different from the people in the neighboring countries. They call their country Shqypnie, or Shqiperia, meaning the Land of the Eagles. So early was their beginning that history and even legend does not tell when they arrived. The Albanian language, which has survived so many centuries, has ever been a puzzle to philologists. Unlike the Greek or Slav of the neighboring countries, it is thought to have come from the primitive Illyrian, the language of Macedonia in the time of Alexander the Great. All attempts of the Serb, Greek and Turk have failed to destroy the Albanian love for it. Once, in southern Albania, where some of the people are Albanian Orthodox Christians, the priests taught that it was useless to pray in Albanian for God could not understand it. The Turks forbade giving instruction or printing books in the language.

^Lands and peoples: the world in color, Volume 3, Gladys D. Clewell, Holland Thompson, The Grolier society, 1947, p. 54

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 am

From them are descended the modern Albanians. These still speak a language which is possibly the oldest Aryan tongue in Europe. They are massed in what is called Albania, but are also spread in large numbers throughout Macedonia and, indeed, through all the Balkan lands. They claim, and with justice, to be Alexander the Great's Macedonians".

^Women of all nations: a record of their characteristics, habits, manners, customs, and influence, Volume 2, Thomas Athol Joyce, Northcote Whitridge Thomas, Cassell, 1940, p. 672

ALBPelasgian
Galactic Member
Galactic Member

Post by ALBPelasgian » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:39 am

But as you know the Albanian race can be traced back to the ancient Pelasgic. Philip, father of Alexander the Great, was an Albanian, to name the most illustrious of ancient Sons of the Double- headed eagle.

^Browning the world over:being, Baylor University Browning interests, series six ; Browning's international influence, and series seven ; a bibliography of foreign Browningiana, A. Joseph Armstrong, Baylor University, 1933, p. 84

Return to “Citime historike për shqiptarët”