"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

The true origin of PUNDIT

Diskutim profesional për gjuhën.

Moderators: Mallakastrioti, bardus

Orakulli
Star Member
Star Member

The true origin of PUNDIT

Post by Orakulli » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 pm

pun•dit
noun \ˈpən-dət\
Definition of PUNDIT
: PANDIT
: a learned man : TEACHER
: a person who gives opinions in an authoritative manner usually through the mass media : CRITIC
Someone who is an expert in a subject, and is often asked to talk to the public about that subject
Origin of PUNDIT
Hindi paṇḍit, from Sanskrit paṇḍita, from paṇḍita learned
First Known Use: 1672
The evolution of spoken sounds is complicated, however I think that the transformation of vowel *o passes three major stages:
(1)The *o changes an *a. (2) the *a changes to an *e. (3)The *e changes to an *ə.
(1) The *o changes to an *u. (2) The *u changes to an *a.(3) The *a changes to an *e.

I like also to give you some grains of a radically different direction of what scholars actually believe about the ‘pundit’ etymology. I think it emerged from other development and makes the association with the meaning “to know how to create or produce something by working’. I think it descended in the strait line from ‘pun’ and ‘di’.
Albanian language;
1. /pun(ë)/ (noun) -‘ Work’
2. /punoj, punue/(verb) -‘to work’
3. /di/(verb) ‘to know’
4. /i dit / (geg), (adj) , ‘erudite, knowledgeable’.

Zeus10
Grand Fighter Member
Grand Fighter Member

Re: The true origin of PUNDIT

Post by Zeus10 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Shume interesante kjo Orakulli:
pundit [ˈpʌndɪt]
n
1. an expert
2. (Social Science / Education) (formerly) a learned person3. (Non-Christian Religions / Hinduism) Also called pandit a Brahman learned in Sanskrit and, esp in Hindu religion, philosophy or law
[from Hindi pandit, from Sanskrit pandita learned man, from pandita learned]
Pundit, nje fjale e perbere ku fjala e dyte, korrespondon 100 % me ate shqip: ' i/e dit-ur'. Ngelet per te gjetur domethenia e pan, qe nese ka kuptimin ""grek"" pan(Pa ane, gjitheperfshires) atehere shpjegohet fare mire kuptimi:
a learned person= ne person i mireditur, dijetar
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Return to “Linguistikë”