"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Something about English

Diskutim profesional për gjuhën.

Moderators: Mallakastrioti, bardus

Orakulli
Star Member
Star Member

Something about English

Post by Orakulli » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Something about English
by Atmir Ilias on Saturday, August 6, 2011 at 9:35am

English spelling.

It is a mess. English must change to a more phonetic system to allow more regularity and simplicity. The coding should be just one concept for both phonetic and writing, which would help native and non-native speakers to learn to read and write in a shorter time and with fewer tears. On the other hand, it would reduce the expenses that the public education spends in this direction. And of course they are a lot money.

Too many S's in English

The grammar coding has too many S’s. S’s sounds and letters at the end of the word, the -s third person singular verb form, the possessive-s as well as the plural-s. The use of the apostrophe in written English is bizarre. No other language has anything similar. Are they going to disappear? From the experience of Albanian I can say yes. The brain codes concepts just one to one. That’s the law of the brain. The code “S” can not be used for two different concepts as the plural and the possessive. Who made English maybe was drunk that day. When we say “bridge”, we mean a bridge and we can not mean at the same time that it is a “ship” as well. Maybe idiots may think in that way.

Wrong position of the adjectives

The adjective is positioned before, rather than after the noun. I always got the feeling that the English language counts objects backwards like, for example: 3, 2, and 1.

It looks to me that the ancient English people was very "advanced" on mathematics. When we say “red house”, which element we perceive as more important? The color is more important than the house? If we say the adjectives first we are not still getting the name, which should be known first as the main element in the two concepts combinations. In Albanian the word for adjective is “mbiemer”, which means it is over the name. It is like saying the skin for the body. There are many languages that do that too, but I do not see it as an argument that it is right, but only a evidence that the language erodes during the time.

The "ing" forms

The same form again for the notorious participle and the gerund. No distinction. It leads to some very idiotic grammar rules, the details of which escape most of native English speakers. Why? It is the same argument, the law of brain: Brain codes concepts one to one.

Conclusion:

The language is like a mechanical tool, it strives to fulfill a goal. The language should have always the purpose: to explain better. It is very clear that some centuries ago some unknown linguists have made some understandable mistakes. The modern linguists must correct to make possible the education of the new generation with maximum effectiveness for minimum cost

Return to “Linguistikë”